This coming Monday 22nd April is Earth Day! Now in its 49th year, Earth Day is a global initiative that encourages us all to take action towards creating a more sustainable planet.
One of their biggest focus' is combatting plastic pollution, especially from single-use plastics. Here are some simple things you can do to get involved (on Earth Day and everyday):
- Bring your own reusable water bottle and coffee cup.
- Bring your own grocery bags and produce bags.
- Buy loose, package-free food (you can find it at farmer's markets, bulk and health food stores, and even in some parts of supermarkets).
- Like straws? Go for a reusable option instead, like those made from metal, glass or bamboo.
- Getting takeaway food? Many places will let you bring your own container (be it for a takeaway salad, pasta, curry or even frozen yogurt / ice-cream. Pro-tip: frozen desserts work well in reusable coffee cups!) If you're at a restaurant and think you might have leftovers you could also bring along a container.
- Make your own cleaning products: natural, plant-based items like bicarb soda, white vinegar, lemon and essential oils (tea tree, lavender, clove etc) can work wonders.
- Look for plastic-free beauty products, such as soap and shampoo bars, or cosmetics packed in glass.